Welcome to the ongoing adventures of the Eversole family! Hope you enjoy reading about our daily life, exciting times, trials, growth, and love!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Potty Training?

I need some help from you experts that have been through potty training before or any of you that have information. As many of you know, I am not a pusher for potty training...I believe when he is ready, he will do it. I just hope it is soon.
However, I believe CR is showing strong signs, and I don't know what to do next to help him with the process without being pushy.

Yesterday, CR went to the pool and decided he didn't like the feeling of the wet swim diaper on him, so I told him that he could take it off only if he would go to the potty and tell me when he needed to go. So, he decided he needed to go then.

I proceeded to take him, where he used it and was so proud of himself. He also loved the idea of being allowed to flush when he used it. We then headed back out to the pool for him just to start pulling his pants down again and telling me he needed to go...so I took him back. He tried to do it again so hard...but of course nothing but a dribble and sounds from the other end came out from his strained attempts. I reassured him it was okay and tried to explain to him that we would come back in a little while and try again. Yet, every few minutes he wanted to try...to the point that we ended up having to come home because he streaked in his swim shorts from trying so hard.

Once we were back home, he didn't want to put big boy pants on, so I put on a diaper (he refuses to wear pull ups). Then, it was over...no more thoughts from him or wishes to try. Until last night at bath time, when I was getting ready to put him in the tub, he wanted to go again. He was successful! I praised him for this, and his great attempts of the day.

Now, I don't know what else to do to get him along in the process. I feel like he is ready...any suggestions or should I continue to wait on his lead? Wish me luck and please offer some suggestions...I think we are too far along to brush off these attempts.

1 comment:

Mrs. Carney said...

I went through a situation like this with my oldest. I just decided that he was DONE with diapers (he wore one only to have a BM, which occured at the same time every day- right after waking from his nap) so I put underwear on him from the moment he woke until he went down for his nap. After his BM, it was back into underwear. I suggest just working on peeing in the potty first, not both. Most kids, because they have spent the past 2+ years standing to poop, get constipated when they have to sit and poop. They just don't know how to push sitting down. Now, if CR is not napping, I would put a diaper on him whenever his scheduled BM time is (unless, of course, he goes several times a day). Of course the drawback to potty training this way is that there are lots of accidents the first couple of days so you need to be prepared with several pair of underwear (or else you'll be washing clothes daily!) and plan to stay close to a bathroom. I also suggest putting him on the potty every 20-30 minutes, especially if he's been drinking water or juice, to help minimize the number of accidents. He may not go every time he's on the potty, but at least he can try. Also, reward him when he does go with something small- for instance, 2-3 M&Ms, a sticker, etc. and lots of praise and cheering. Last, don't get frustrated if he has an accident as soon as he gets off the potty. It's a learning process for both of you. It may take a few days, but, he'll get the hang of it and you'll begin to see the signs of when he needs to go and soon the accidents will become less frequent. Good luck!

~T.