Welcome to the ongoing adventures of the Eversole family! Hope you enjoy reading about our daily life, exciting times, trials, growth, and love!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

What A Time!

This week I am so confused about my days, due to Monday being a holiday. I have been reminding myself all week that CR had a Dr. appt. yesterday at 2 PM, in hopes that I would not forget. But guess what...I forgot!

I came home after work and picking up CR at MMO, changed clothes, ate lunch, and sent CR out on the patio to play (a normal daily activity after we come home). For some reason, I happened to remember the appt. all of a sudden as I was sitting at the table finishing my lunch. It was 1:52! I jumped up quickly, pulled off my old junk mismatched clothes, grabbed CR off the patio as is (sweaty, dirty hands, and little did I know dirty diaper) and headed out the door. Thank goodness the Dr. office was just right down the street. I quickly wiped CR's dirty face and hands with a hand wipe and hurried in.

Once we got checked in, I thought I smelled something...yeah, isn't it sad it took me this long to notice...he had it on all along. For some reason he gets relaxed playing outside. I then checked and he had made a surprise for me despite the fact that he said he didn't. I explained to the ladies in the check-in area and we headed back out the door to return home to get his bag that I left. Again, thank goodness the Dr. office was just up the rode. Yeah...I will not get mommy of the year for this stunt! I hurried back to the Dr. office, changed CR's diaper in the back of the van, and returned for our appt. Of course CR is all out of sorts in confusion as we have went to a Dr. appt. that he didn't know we were going to/or why (he kept saying, "mommy I not sick"). I had to explain to him I know he wasn't sick, but we had to go check on his ears and throat (ENT Dr. to determine if he needs his tonsils out). Finally...we were there ready for the appointment.

CR was an angel for the waiting time. We waited and waited and waited some more. Finally, a lady came out and said that the Dr. that CR was supposed to see was stuck in sugery at the hospital (no wonder the lady acted as if it were not a big deal that we returned home and changed the diaper). I was in a rush for nothing! We were told, we could either reschedule or the Dr. should be there in 20 minutes, but we would be at least behind the other 3 patients in the rooms already waiting. I decided we couldn't sit any longer...I knew CR's goodness had to be about gone.

Just as we were literally getting up to walk out, the same lady came back out to tell us that another Dr. (actually the same one I saw when I was referred to him back in Aug. thinking that all my tumor symptoms were allergies) could see us. I agreed, so we got taken back to the room. After answering tons of questions for the nurse, she left and told us the Dr. would be in shortly. After another 45 minutes (at least) of waiting, singing songs, playing with every toy I brought, playing in the Dr. examining chair, and anything else I could come up with...I decided we had sat long enough! We headed out the door to tell the ladies at the front that we couldn't wait any longer...but was interrupted midsentence by the Dr. stating that he was there and ready for us (note this is not the Dr. that we had orginally supposed to see...that one was still at the hospital). I should have proceeded to leave, but didn't.

We returned to the room were CR was still an angel while the Dr. talked to us and looked in his ears. Then the Dr. pulled out a tongue depressor (or stick CR calls it). CR FLIPPED OUT! The Dr. had to call a nurse in to help hold CR down while he looked at his tonsils. TOTAL NIGHTMARE...CR was beyond ready to go and would not return to calmness! i could not even hear what the Dr. was telling me. The Dr. wanted to do one more test, so he told CR that he had a game for him to play. But, we would have to return to the waiting room until the lady in charge (I am assuming she is an audiologist) was ready. So, we proceed back to the waiting room where CR is done and doesn't understand why we must wait to play the game. After another 15 minutes or so we got to "play the game" to determine if CR has fluid in ears. He did great with the "game" and "drew great pictures with his ears" to determine that he didn't have any fluid.

We were returned to see the Dr. to hear the news...the best thing would be for CR to get his tonsils and adnoids out. I explained my reservations of his age/weight and the Dr. assured me it would not be a big deal...stating he has done many little ones before. The bad news (well bad news for me) is, we would have to have it done at the RH hospital that K and I always say we would not take our dog to (if we had one) just from its reputation. No offense...hope anyone reading this doesn't work there. I explained my reservations of this with the Dr. and he attempts to reassure me that he would be fine...again, he says he has done many there with no problems. Because CR's age/weight though, he may have to stay overnight. This is a major concern to K and I!

So after a 2 hour (literally) Dr. visit, I am left confused (which I seem to stay a lot). I don't know whether we should have them taken out right now, if so, should we have it done here, or seek another Dr. that could do it in our hospital of preference (in Charlotte). Anyone have any suggestions or advice?!

Gotta love Dr. appointments!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Personally, I would get a second opnion from a dr. in Charlotte, and if you like that dr. go with him and you can have the surgery done in clt.. I am sure your insurance will cover it! I would check with the insurance coverage first though.. Good luck!