Welcome to the ongoing adventures of the Eversole family! Hope you enjoy reading about our daily life, exciting times, trials, growth, and love!

Monday, July 14, 2008

First Days Of College

I said that I would not be able to post again until after I returned from college, but I actually got out of class early today and have time to catch you up on my first days back at college.



Yesterday, I left at 1:00 and got to Charleston around 3 something (especially since I could not get to where I was trying to go and got turned around...thanks one way streets). Then the memories came back...



-Moving In Day Stinks: I only had several minutes to get my stuff unloaded from my car before I had to move it. I then had to wait for an elevator and cram all my stuff into the next elevator with everyone else and their stuff. Once I got to my room, I was wringing wet with sweat. I then had to manage how to make this room bearable enough to live in for a week, which takes me to my next memory.



-Dorm living is like living in a prison (bare walls, close quarters, sharing bathroom, no room, uncomfortable bed...) You get the point!



-Hikes across campus leads to good exercise: I am working off my cafeteria meals (also another memory).



-Homework/course load begins immediately: I happened to look through my packet of "class materials" yesterday evening while sitting on a bench outside my dorm waiting for K to call me back and noticed a paper that said "Congratulations" across the top. I got excited thinking I had won a door prize, until I continued reading to find out that I had been "chosen" to critique a math lesson plan and present my findings to the class TODAY! What a way to start class the first day...up front presenting. So there I was completely exhausted (after a LONG night of little sleep the night before) trying to keep my eyes open and brain functioning enough to do this assignment well enough for me to present to the class today! I thought...what have I gotten myself into?! So I get to class today to find out that everyone will eventually have to do it, but 6 of us were chosen today. In the end it turned out fine. I did okay with my presentation, and come to find out I am pretty lucky...mine is over with and they even printed all the materials that I needed where the other students that still have to present must find theirs online, print a copy, then critique it without any guidelines of how it should be critiqued. One assignment down...many more to go!



-Sitting on the other side of the desk is often hard, confusing, tiring, and rewarding: My class began at 8:30 this morning. I grudgingly made my way into the classroom that was slammed full of desks. The teacher was not the teacher I expected (I was supposed to have my director). Immediately, I began getting very nervous about what to expect (especially after my unexpected homework last night). The teacher seemed very serious and talked to the class almost as if we were college freshmen. After a little while of housekeeping, he realized we (my fellow teacher from my district and I) were in the wrong class and we got switched to the correct class. Thank goodness! Upon entering that class, I automatically felt better about my surroundings...it looked more laid back and easy going. The instructors proceeded with important information, class assignments, etc. I had forgotten how confusing it is sometimes when something is not explained clearly or there are many conversations going on in the room at one time. Thankfully, it settled down and got easier throughout the day. It did get me thinking...I hope I explain myself clearly to my students and the importance of maintaining a quiet classroom environment. The class today ended up not being bad at all with several breaks and interesting and helpful material taught. It always helped that we got out of class early today too (before the other class)! So while I get very tired of sitting behind the desk for long periods of time, it has been a nice and educational experience for me to get on the other side of the desk.

Tonight I went on a walking tour that seemed like all of Charleston! I had the bright idea that my fellow teacher and I could walk down Meeting st. (I think) to see a lot of cool shops and find a unique place to eat. We did both...only to my feet's expense. We saw lots of great stores and got some advice from some locals working in the stores of the best places to eat in the area were. We decided to try Poogan's Porch tonight (a place that I have always wanted to try mainly because of its historical story and ghost tale). The food turned out okay...I think I just ordered the wrong thing because my colleague's looked great. The walk back seemed even longer as my feet throbbed with every step. It was very nice to get away from campus though while shopping a little and seeing some really neat sights of Charleston.

More adventures tomorrow...

No comments: