Welcome to the ongoing adventures of the Eversole family! Hope you enjoy reading about our daily life, exciting times, trials, growth, and love!

Monday, December 8, 2008

Magic of Christmas

This year I am going to be honest and say, I was being a Scrooge about Christmas. Yes, every year I dread the hustle and bustle of shopping and all the "commercial hoopla", but I have never felt as negatively about it as I had this year. I was not looking forward to it, couldn't stand to hear Christmas music, didn't want to decorate, and least of all SHOP! Thank goodness God knew this and has used my child to change my thinking this year.
The magic of Christmas has encompassed CR this year beyond any before. He enjoyed Christmas last year and loved all that the holiday entailed, but this year...it is beyond imaginable. With his whole being, he is sharing in the magic! Because of this, I have embraced the magic once again (better than in many many years). I am seeing Christmas through his eyes and what JOY it is bringing to me and the season! I am looking forward to much less of the normal Christmas "doings" and trying to replace it with the true meanings of Christmas for me and my family!
Below are some things we have done so far, but there are many more to come....
CR carefully watching Dada place an ornament on the tree to learn how to do it.

One of CR's favorite ornaments...Santa on a tractor (his ornament from last Christmas). Each year since he was born, I have gotten an ornament for him, usually something that relates to his birthday that year or something that relates to him that year. This is something that my Mom and Dad did for me and now I have a slue of ornaments to look at and cherish from the years.
This year he is so into his Christmas Thomas set. He has already worn the batteries out...which I have to figure out how to replace. It is so cute to watch him imaginary play with it.

A snow globe at a local mall of the Polar Express...my favorite (and CR's) favorite Christmas movie and book. He has really gotten into Polar Express this year and loves watching ALL of the movie (something he does rarely with any movie) and chants and/or "reads" portions of the book.

Getting his face painted at a Christmas event at the library. This is the first time he has ever wanted his face painted...he was so still.

His finished product that he picked out to have painted on his face
CR and "his girlfriend" visiting with Mrs. Claus after their telephone calls to Santa (on the red phone behind them). Too bad I didn't plan better and dress him more Christmas like. He was still dressed in his "school clothes" that accompanied "purple day". I am so glad he was able to talk to Santa since he is not fond of going to visit Santa and sit on his lap this year. He says he doesn't like his beard.

Bundling up with "Mamie" waiting for the Christmas parade to start. This is an event that CR has looked forward to all year. Every time we have gone to the library this year, he has reminded me about the parking garage across from it and how it was where we parked for the parade last year and how he wants to go back...finally he got his chance. Now he is counting down the days until the "tractor parade".
Daddy and CR entranced my the parade sights

CR sees something he likes and gets that finger pointing...something he has done since before he could talk

Sharing some time with "Mema" while watching the parade. Bless his heart...it was freezing but he didn't want to leave until he got to see Santa (the last thing of course)
CR talks Daddy into playing "golf" at a local Christmas event
Another event favorite...all the rides and blow ups
Mommy's big ham!
Saturday evening we attended a church wide fellowship at some members house. We all met to have treats and hayrides through the Christmas lights at this group of family member's houses. We have always (since CR was 2 months old) gone here to enjoy the lights (yes all 350,000...yes I didn't make a mistake and add too many 0's), but for the past 2 years we have taken rides through the lights on four wheelers/Rhinos, etc. Of course, this is all right up CR's ally. He had to take 3 trips through the lights this night and cried when we made him get off. Our only saving grace was we told him we would take him back in a few weeks when Santa comes to visit at the lights.
This picture is not good of all the lights and is just a small portion, but you can see just from this that it is a sight to see. You can't tell from the picture, but this is of the pond area where trees are made of lights and outline the water's edge. They have a sign along the rode that tells you to turn your radio to a particular station and you can hear the Christmas music that the lights "dance to". It is such an awesome sight! Thanks McNeely's for all the hard work and efforts that you all go through to do this each year! It is truly a part of the "Magic of Christmas" that I look forward to year after year!

No comments: