Welcome to the ongoing adventures of the Eversole family! Hope you enjoy reading about our daily life, exciting times, trials, growth, and love!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Big Day (11 Days Ago)

Wow...was it that in more ways than one. It started about 12:30 PM and I had just dismissed my students from the class. I had a former student drop by to get some grant paperwork off of the computer and I had some paperwork to complete before I left to get CR from childcare (thank goodness he was not with me). Sitting behind my desk, talking to my former student, and working, all of a sudden a huge gush of water came flooding out all over me, the leather computer chair, and tile floor. It wouldn't stop! This was much more of a "flood" than I experienced with CR. I immediately knew what happened and thank goodness my former student (that had 3 kids) was able to go out into the hall to get help. When she went to the bathroom, the female janitor was in there and was able to use her walkie talkie to call security and bring some necessary stuff for the mess I had just made everywhere. Security came and was more in a panic than I was...this was more eventful than anything they had seen in a while. I calmly explained that someone was on their way to get me(my mom since K works 25 minutes away and was closer to the hospital than I was) and take me to the hospital (would be there in 10 min.). Then it hit me what the doctors said, "if your water breaks, you need to get to the hospital immediately...call L&D on the way). Then I started to panic wondering how "far along" I was now. Thankfully my mom arrived to my classroom quickly and security arrived with a golf cart to take me to my car (since it was on the other side of campus) and I didn't have much time to thank about it. Poor old security man...he couldn't even drive he was so nervous and I felt horrible for the mess I made all over his seat. Off we went to the hospital without all my needed bags. I had my suitcase and a few other things in the car, but I still had some needed stuff at home including my camera and cosmetic bag. Thank you Ash for coming to the rescue and going to get all of our stuff for us...you are AWESOME! K was already there waiting on me when I got there and had all the paperwork/insurance dealt with. My room was waiting on me when I got there...which was the same room I had CR in.
After being checked and showing still 4-5cm dilation but more effacement and head stationing, I decided I would walk the halls in attempts to get my contractions going (at this point they were very weak and irregular). I got my IV line hooked up in case I wanted an epidural (which I did) and took to walking the halls for an hour. An hour later I returned to be checked again...6cm dilated...more effacement and stationing. So, I took to the halls again thinking hey I can handle this for a while longer without being bed ridden with an epidural (still contractions were not intolerable, but more regular). An hour later (now 5 PM), I went back to my room to get checked. I decided with my contractions coming 1-2 minutes apart, I might want to stay put in the rocker and get my IV fluids so I could get my epi. The next thing I knew, I was feeling pressure...she was coming out (now about 5:10PM...only about 10 minutes of smiling walking the halls). I was begging the nurse for an epi and to get the Dr. (midwife) to come check me. Finally after another few minutes of no midwife and me about to pull the handles off the rocker, the nurse said, "we are not waiting on the Dr....let's check you". K had to pick me up and put me in the bed, as I couldn't move. The nurse quickly said, "we are having a baby". I didn't have time for ANY meds (which I don't recommend)...she was coming out. After about 4 pushes(15-20 minutes)...our baby girl was here! However, I could see from K's face something was wrong...and the fact that I didn't get to see her before they wisked her away to the warming/exam table. K told me a few moments later that she was BLUE...cord was wrapped tightly around her neck twice (which they think only happened as she was coming out since her heartrate was awesome the rest of the day prior). After a few minutes, she was fine and I was able to hold my new bundle of joy! What a WILD DAY!

The proud big brother arrives that evening to adore his new "baby sister". He is still in LOVE with her and can't get enough. No one can believe how still he gets and how long he wants to hold her...totally not him! I hope this adoration never changes...it is SO sweet!
Proud daddy holding his baby girl!

CR shows off his big brother shirt!


Our new addition!

K brings our new bundle of joy over to me for the first time!

K had to take a picture of the freezer and refrig. (stocked with juice, soda, ice cream, while the cabinets have snacks) as these are his favorite parts of the hospital...they do take care of their guests. He gained 10 lbs. during the 3 weeks we were in and out of the hospital with CR's arrival. Thank goodness we didn't have to stay that long this time!

Proud Mommy...I wish someone would have told me to wipe my mascara.

Our little girl getting checked out only minutes after making her arrival!

Walking the halls...trying to bring on the contractions and/or progress

Breathing through a contraction...boy did walking make a difference...it really made me progress quickly. K jokingly called me biopolar during this process...I would go from stopping every few minutes to breath to walking/talking/joking.

She was almost born on the "snow day"....here are some reminents on a patio table.
Thanks Ash for saving the day by bringing our camera and much needed items from home!
Getting ready for the big event

No comments: